Saturday, March 26, 2011

Chicken Gyros

Greek Souvlaki has the best Gyros ever! I've had the lamb kind, but I prefer the chicken. A few weeks ago, I saw some pitas at Costco for really cheap and had a craving for a gyro. I decided to buy the pitas and search for a good gyro recipe. I found this one on the Taste of Home website (http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Chicken-Gyros). The chicken tastes exactly like the one at Greek Souvlaki. I left the onions out because I'm not a fan of onions and I always have them take them off anyway. Note: I doubled this recipe for my family.

Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3/4 teaspoon minced garlic, divided
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch strips
  • 1/2 cup chopped peeled cucumber
  • 1/3 cup plain yogurt
  • 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
  • 2 whole pita breads
  • 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced

Directions

  • In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the lemon juice, oil, 1/2 teaspoon garlic, mustard and oregano; add chicken. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for at least 1 hour. In a small bowl, combine the cucumber, yogurt, dill and remaining garlic; cover and refrigerate until serving.
  • Drain and discard marinade. In a large nonstick skillet, saute the chicken for 7-8 minutes or until juices run clear. Spoon onto each pita bread. Top with yogurt mixture and onion; fold in half. Yield: 2 servings.
The yogurt sauce wasn't my favorite. It had chucks of cucumbers and I thought it might be good, but it wasn't really. I think my favorite part of a gyro is a fresh pita and yummy sauce. The pitas at Costco aren't as yummy as the fresh kind, but they worked. The next time I make this, I'm going to try this recipe for the suace.

Tzatziki Sauce

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup plain yogurt (if you can find the extra-thick Greek yogurt it's best)
  • 4 garlic cloves; roasted and finely chopped (see below)
  • 1/2 lemon; juiced
  • 2 tsp. finely chopped mint
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped cucumber without seeds
  • Salt to taste

Preparation:

1. Place whole, un-peeled garlic gloves in a small, un-oiled skillet over medium low heat and cook for about two minutes per side - until lightly browned. Peel and chop finely.

2. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.

Note: The sauce is better if you allow it to sit in the refrigerator for a couple of hours before using.

No comments:

Post a Comment