Thursday, November 18, 2010

White Chicken Chili with Tomato Garnish

A friend from High School posted this recipe to her blog. Now, before I list the ingredients and directions I need to put on record that I am a picky eater. One of the things I do not like is uncooked tomatoes. I also have never been a fan of white chili, mainly because I don't like white beans. My husband is not a picky eater, but he has never liked white chili and was skeptical and slightly disappointed when I told him that this dish was on the menu. With that said, we both LOVED this chili. After this picture was taken, we both crushed up some tortilla chips and added it in. YUM.

Jean's White Chili with Tomato Garnish

Soup:

3 cans white navy beans, drained and rinsed

1 white onion, diced

6 cups chicken broth

4 cups chicken breast, cooked and cubed

7 oz can diced green chiles

4 tsp cumin

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

2 tsp dried oregano

1 cup sour cream

3 cups Monterey Jack cheese, shredded

In a large pot, slightly saute onion until tender. Add beans and broth. Cook until onions and beans are tender. Add chicken, chiles, and seasonings; continue to simmer until the sauce is thickened. (Approx. 30 min. - 1 hour). Take the pot off the heat and add the sour cream and cheese. Stir until the cheese melts. Serve with tomato garnish.

Garnish: (there are no measurements, it's to your taste.)

tomatoes, chopped

cilantro, chopped

sweet and sour dressing

Sweet and Sour Dressing:

1/2 cup sugar

1/4 cup apple cider vinegar

juice from 1 lemon

1 tsp dried onion powder

1 tsp salt

1 tsp paprika

1/3 cup vegetable oil

2 tsp celery seed (optional, and I opted not to use it)


In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and vinegar and bring to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved. In a dressing container, combine lemon juice and seasonings. Add vinegar mixture and then add oil. shake to combine. Dressing will keep up to a week n the refrigerator. Add only enough to coat the tomatoes and cilantro.

2 comments:

  1. This looks so yummy. I think I could just eat the tomato garnish by itself, I LOVE tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy! And good job putting something on the menu that you might not have liked based on your past experience. I'm not sure I would have been that brave.

    ReplyDelete