Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Peanut Butter Bars

Let me tell you first, there were three things I loved in our elementary school's cafeteria when I was growing up: chicken fried steak, plain spaghetti noodles with shredded cheese on them (this is when I also realized my love for plain noodles and cheese), and the peanut butter bars.
I have tried many recipes trying to find the peanut butter bar recipe that tasted exactly how I remembered and lo and behold, I found it. Maybe all of you already have this recipe, but I've been in heaven all week devouring these things.


The only thing was they weren't thick enough, so next time I'll either double the recipe or make them in a 9x13 pan.

  • 1/2 c. butter or margarine
  • 1/2 c. white sugar
  • 1/2 c. brown sugar packed
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 c. peanut butter
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 1/4 c. oatmeal

Cream together first 4 ingredients. Mix in vanilla and peanut butter. In separate bowl combine dry ingredients. If too sticky add a little more flour. Gradually add in the peanut butter mixture. Spread into ungreased 11x13 cookie sheet.. Bake 325 for approx 12 min. Make sure to NOT overbake. Cool slightly then spread thin layer of peanut butter over entire thing- cool all the way. Frost with favorite fudge frosting recipe. I just used the basic recipe out of the red and white checkered recipe book (what is that Better Homes and Garden?).

No comments:

Post a Comment