Thursday, January 7, 2010

Hawaiian Haystacks (beef)

I haven't contributed a recipe in a long time so I thought it was about time. I actually made this meal before the holidays, but hadn't taken the time to post it yet.
Most of you are familiar with Hawaiian Haystacks made with chicken. In our family, we make it with ground beef. It's a recipe from my MIL and it's something that Marty grew up eating. It's simple and even our kids eat it.

Ingredients:
1 lb hamburger
1 small onion
2 stalks celery
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
Rice (depending on how many you are feeding)

Brown the hamburger, chop celery and onion. Place celery and onion in hamburger then add the soup. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
Start cooking rice in rice cooker when you start to cook the hamburger so the rice will be done at about the same time. If you don't have a rice cooker, any rice will do.
I know, it doesn't look the most appetizing (more like dog food), but we really enjoy it. :)
I can't believe I just compared my food to dog food. (
hehe)

Put meat mixture over rice. Can add olives, coconut, pineapple, frozen peas, almonds, chow mien noodles, etc. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. You're right we do usually have chicken, but ground beef might be a nice change sometime.

    ReplyDelete