Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Broccoli Cheese Soup - Tammy Thompson

This is a recipe I got from Tammy Thompson. I love when people are willing to share their recipes. I've never understood those people for whom recipes are a guarded secret. (Sorry if I've offended anyone.) So many of my very favorite recipes I wouldn't have if people weren't willing to share.

Angie was asking for a non-Velveeta recipe so maybe this one will fit the bill. This is our traditionally recipe for Priesthood session night in bread bowls before Josh leaves because it's his favorite. He once said, "Do you know the one thing that's wrong with your broccoli cheese soup? That it doesn't make more." That's a compliment if I've ever heard one.

Broccoli Cheese Soup

Bring to a boil:
2 cups water
4 chicken bouillon cubes
1 large bunch of fresh broccoli, cut into pieces

While broccoli is cooking make white sauce.

Melt 1/2 cup butter
Add 1/2 cup flour and combine until a roux is made
Stir in 2 cups milk

Whisk until thickened, add broccoli/bouillon mixture. Stir in 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese. Stir until cheese melts. I don't know that I can honestly say I've ever added that much cheese. I just grate until it looks like enough.

P.S. Does anyone really care about the origins of my recipes or why my family likes it or when we eat it? I can stop adding so much commentary if it bugs people. Let me know.

5 comments:

  1. I like to hear the origin, and why your family likes it, so keep commentating! (is that a word?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The commentary is great, and the soup sounds good! Perfect for a snowy day like today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, I'll have to try this version. Sounds good. And keep the commentary coming.

    ReplyDelete